The third of the birthday boy recipes…
Original recipe here. My modifications: Added a pesto, cut out the olive oil.
- 2 loves french bread
- 1 butternut squash
- sage, basil
- a handful of arugula
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 oz walnuts or pesto
- a drizzle of olive oil
- 8 oz ricotta
- pecans for garnish
- Preheat oven to 450. Wrap butternut squash in foil and toss in the oven for 35-40 mins. You want it soft but not mushy.
- While the squash is baking, make a pesto:
- My pesto recipe: Put the following in a blender or magic bullet: 2 handfuls of basil, sage, and arugula. Add walnuts and garlic. Add a drizzle of olive oil. Pulse until well blended. Thin with a little water. The pesto gets a little spicy from the arugula.
- Cut the bread into thin slices. Spritz with a little olive oil. Put in the oven and bake until just golden.
- Cool the butternut squash. Slice into thin 1-2″ pieces.
- Top each piece of bread with a spoon of ricotta (spread), a spoon of pesto (spread), and a slice of butternut squash.
- Put back in the oven on low (200) for a few more minutes. just to rewarm.
- Add pecans to garnish. I actually candied the pecans I used by tossing them into a pan with a spoon of sugar and a little smidge of chilli powder. after a few mins, add in a little drizzle of water and cook until the water has been absorbed. nuts will cool crispy and sweet.
Pingback: The Birthday boy menu (recipe posts to come) | A Happy Veggie Foodie