This was inspired by an item I saw on a menu. I thought “I can do that”…and so for brunch yesterday, I did! Everyone (our friend, my husband, and me) seemed to like it.
Ingredient (serves 3)
- 1 package mixed mushrooms (shitake, portabella, crimini, oyster)
- 1 baby zucchini
- 1/2 red bell pepper
- 6 eggs
- 1/2 onion
- 3 pieces of toast
- 1/4 cup parsley chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- sautee the onion with some olive oil until it is golden.
- Grate the zucchini, chop the peppers into tiny pieces. Chop parsley.
- Add mushrooms and chopped veggies/herbs to pan with onion. cook down (prob 5-7 mins). Set aside
- Poach the eggs. the method I usd: Fill a saucepan with about 3 inches of water (I actually used 3 pots for the 6 eggs…this kept them separate). Bring to a low boil (just boil) and lower the flame. You want something between a simmer and a boil.
- Have your eggs cracked–I used small pinch bowls for each egg.
- Add a splash of vinegar to your saucepans.
- Slide your eggs in and make a swirl in the water with the back of the spoon (to bring the white together). Cover and set a timer for 4 mins. that’s the max if you want runny eggs.
- If you have a 2″ round cookie cutter get that out.
- Toast some bread. cut a 2’round in the bread. leave the cookie cutter ont he bread. it is your mold.
- Spoon mushroom mixture into the round.
- Top with 2 poached eggs. repeat. sprinkle with pepper and salt and serve with some more toast.