Here’s an easy twist on a Mediterranean Fatoosh Salad. We didn’t have some of the ingredients that the recipe called for, but had some other things laying around….so I reinvented the recipe.
- 1 Green Onion
- 1 yellow bell pepper
- 1/4 red onion
- 1/2 bulb of fennel
- 1 rib of celery
- 1/4 of a poblano pepper (alternate…use a little chilli powder or cayenne powder)
- 3 Tbs Red Wine Vinegar
- 3 Tbs Lime (or lemon) juice
- 1 1/2 Tbs Olive Oil
- 1 Tbs agave syrup (sugar is fine)
- 1/4 cup parsley (or dried parsley)
- 1/8 cup basil (optional)
- 1 cup of salad greens (i used a bagged mix of romaine, mesculin, raddiccho, and arugula)
- 1 avocado
- 2 pieces of pita (I used sandwich thins…they got crispy)
- 8 pieces of Gardein brand crispy chick’n (fake chicken…i didn’t use the sauce)
- 5-7 pistachios
- sprinkle of Parmesan cheese
- Toast the bread until it is extra crispy. You could add olive oil and zatar. I didn’t.
- Crisp the chick’n in a non-stick skillet. no oil needed.
- Chop the green onions, onion, peppers, celery, poblano, and fennel into thin, small pieces. Chop avocado into tiny squares. (mine was very ripe)
- In a salad bowl, toss in the salad greens (chop them finer if you wish). Add the chopped veggies.
- Make dressing: In a small bowl, whisk the olive oil, red wine vinegar, agave and lime juice. Add in the basil & parsley.
- When you are ready to eat, break up the bread into bite sized pieces. Toss in the bowl. Add in the chikn. Toss with the dressing and enjoy. (don’t let this sit too long…you don’t want it to get soggy!)
This looks so good. I love fennel in salads but it’s not in season for us yet.
yeah it’s not really in season here either–this fennel came from whole foods…and clearly originated somewhere else.