No snow around here (booh), but a snow day…a good time to post a backlog of recipes!
My husband brought a bunch of beautiful multicolored carrots home on Sunday…so it was time to find some good things to do with them. Three recipes–This and this and this were my inspiration….I took it and ran with it (modified a wee bit).
- 1 bunch carrots (multicolored)
- 1/4 Balsamic vinegar (one recipe called for 1 cup of pomegranate molases–i didn’t have it so I used a sweet balsamic we got from Greece)
- 1 T honey or agave syrup
- 1 T beet juice (I roasted beets while I roasted these carrots…and used that…however, it turned the whole lot a litle purple so you may not want to use it. )
- teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 t ground cardamom
- 1/4 t nutmeg
- 1/4 t all spice
- 1/4 t chilli powder
- 1 T olive oil
- 1 handful pinenuts
- 1 handful chopped parsley
- I love roasting veggies–it comes out so well. So…that’s what I did. Preheat oven to 450
- Peel carrots, chop into quarters (baby carrot sized)
- Grind spices, mix with balsamic and olive oil. Add chopped carrots into the mixture
- Strain the carrots (save the liquid) and put into a piece of foil. Make a foil packet
- Roast for 1/2 hour, however long it takes to get soft and tasty.
- Meanwhile, heat a saucepan to medium and add the balsamic mixture and the beet juice if you are using that. reduce down. stir regularly and be careful–you don’t want to scorch it. You want it to become a thick syrup.
- Remove carrots from the oven. toss with the pine nuts and parsley. Mix in the balsamic syrup. Serve warm.