I originally started this thinking I’d add sweet potato or acorn squash to the mixture, but they didn’t cook fast enough so I left them out, but I leave you with that idea.
- 1 cup split peas
- 1/2 onion
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 bunch scallions
- 1 t chilli flakes
- 1 T tahini
- 1 t cumin
- a handful of fresh cilantro
- 1 t coriander seeds
- a handful of fresh parsley if you have it
- salt & pepper to taste
- Soak split peas for about an hour
- In a food processor, add split peas, a little of the water, and all of the other ingredients.
- Process until smooth. Note, the batter I’ve been using is a little watery–it is not thick enough to form a ball. If you want that consistency, leave out the water–it’ll just be harder to process.
- preheat oven to 350.
- Use a ice cream scoop to drop rounds of the dough onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment
- bake for about 10 mins and then flip and bake another 10 mins. You want it to be golden on each side and firm.
Serve in a pita with tahini, fresh tomatoes & other optional toppings (I like shredded carrot, cucumber, and cilantro too)