This is my adaptation of the Culinary Institute’s BBQ sauce recipe, which as you will see I use for several things–part of a kabob marinade, just slathered on roasted veggies, and as an accompaniment to my split pea “meatballs”.
- 1/4 c vegetable oil
- 1 onion
- 3 cloves garlic (or 3 tsp garlic paste)
- 1 T Dijon mustard
- 1 T ground cumin
- 1 T ground coriander
- 1 t cayenne (mine is really spicy)
- 2 T molasses
- a drizzle of honey
- 1/2 cup vinegar (they say apple cider. I just used what I had)
- 1 carton pomi tomatoes
- In a saucepan, saute onions
- Add the tomatoes and boil all of the other ingredients.
- cover and cook over medium, stirring occasionally, for at least 20-30 mins. You can reduce to simmer if it is getting too hot…and leave on simmer for a bit longer.
- salt to taste.