I received this recipe from Cooking.com in my inbox and thought “hey I have all of the ingredients!” It seems like a lot of stuff but you probably have a lot of it. And then as I got to cooking, I did a little futzing.
If you already have cooked quinoa use it. I added a half cup of daal (the squash daal) that was left in the fridge looking unloved. I also had a lot of fresh greens so I used some. And mushrooms. And I added in a wee bit of jalapeño and BBQ sauce. And zucchini (I didn’t have much carrot, which the original recipe called for). I also baked mine (rather than skillet cooking or frying) and topped it with caramelized onion, sautéed mushrooms, avocado and fresh tomato–no bun needed.
- 2 small zucchini
- 1 onion
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 carrot shredded
- 1/3 c frozen edamame shelled
- 1/2 c cooked lentils (daal)
- 1 1/4 c cooked quinoa
- 1/2 c Panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 jalapeño
- 1 poblano pepper
- 1/2 c gourmet blend mushrooms (topping)
- 1/2 portabella (inside)
- 1/2 c shredddd greens (I used A kale, chard, arugula combo I precut an mixed in a container for the week)
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 t salt
- A few turns of black pepper
- 1 tomato
- 1 avocado
1. Cook the quinoa. I use a 1:1 ratio
2. Microwave and shell the edamame. Mash them a little
3. Chop and sauté the onion and garlic. Set a little aside as a topping (1 spoon per burger)
4. Shred the zucchini and carrot. Cook that along with your mushrooms, and poblano until they are soft. Prob about 7-8 mins.
5. Shred Wilt your greens for a few minutes too
6.in a bowl combine your ingredients. (except the avocado and tomato) mash and mix the quinoa, daal, edamame, and veggies together. Add Panko and eggs.
7. Form into patties. I baked mine on a cookie sheet at 350 until they held together about 25-30 mins. Spray with cooking spray or drizzle with olive oil. You can flip halfway and decide how much longer you think they need. You can also cook in a skillet as the orig recipe directs–I just find that things like this need a lot of oil or they stick.
8. I served with sliced tomato, avocado, and onion. Buns are optional
Ps. If you don’t have cooked daal try Try Joe’s precook lentils or cook skip
Original recipe: http://www.cooking.com/recipes-and-more/recipes/edamame-carrot-quinoa-burger-patties-recipe?CCAID=cknwrdne05970at