For Neefu’s birthday, I decided to make something a little special–birthday doughnuts. I didn’t really have much time, and not that much by way of ingredients, but I wanted her to wake up to something special, since she’s been helping K so much.
I also wanted it to be tasty, and yet at least semi-healthy, so I made some substitutions: some whole wheat flour, agave syrup instead of sugar (I’m still not sold on fake sugar, though I’ve been trying–that aftertaste, yuck. though maybe one day I’ll get there).
base recipe: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Baked-Cake-Doughnuts-51157010
◊ modifications: agave syrup, changing the balance of wheat and AP flour, and adding in some almond flour too. oh and cocoa powder!
◊ special tools: a doughnut pan
- 1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 c almond flour
- 1/4 c cocoa powder
- 1.5 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 C agave syrup or a wee bit less (I eyeballed it–probably 3 squirts. A side note, agave has more moisture, so it balances out the addition of cocoa powder)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 t cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons olive oil/melted butter/melted fat of your choice
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup plain yogurt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg
♥ The method
- Preheat the oven to 350•
- Beat the egg and the olive oil together
- Add the milk and yogurt, agave, and vanilla and stir briskly with a fork
- Mix in the flours and baking powder
- Mix in the cocoa powder, and salt, cinnamon
- Pour the mixture into the doughnut pan. fill each well half full.
- bake for roughly 6-10 minutes.