For Neefu’s birthday, I decided to make something a little special–birthday doughnuts. I didn’t really have much time, and not that much by way of ingredients, but I wanted her to wake up to something special, since she’s been helping K so much.
I also wanted it to be tasty, and yet at least semi-healthy, so I made some substitutions: some whole wheat flour, agave syrup instead of sugar (I’m still not sold on fake sugar, though I’ve been trying–that aftertaste, yuck. though maybe one day I’ll get there).
◊ modifications: agave syrup, changing the balance of wheat and AP flour, and adding in some almond flour too. oh and cocoa powder!
◊ special tools: a doughnut pan
- 1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 c almond flour
- 1/4 c cocoa powder
- 1.5 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 C agave syrup or a wee bit less (I eyeballed it–probably 3 squirts. A side note, agave has more moisture, so it balances out the addition of cocoa powder)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 t cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons olive oil/melted butter/melted fat of your choice
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup plain yogurt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg
♥ The method
- Preheat the oven to 350•
- Beat the egg and the olive oil together
- Add the milk and yogurt, agave, and vanilla and stir briskly with a fork
- Mix in the flours and baking powder
- Mix in the cocoa powder, and salt, cinnamon
- Pour the mixture into the doughnut pan. fill each well half full.
- bake for roughly 6-10 minutes.