Ok so I blog in fits & starts….I’m back! 🙂 This month I’ve been experimenting and have come up with some new, pretty tasty options….the first…cauliflower “Mac” & cheese.
It’s “mac” because there’s no macaroni. I started the recipe without the bread crumbs and the egg…but it was a little soupy and needed some body…so I made the addition. and it worked.
- a large pot
- a sauce pan
- muffin tins (or a baking dish)
- 1 cauliflower
- 6 oz reduced fat cheddar cheese (I used dubliner sharp cheddar)
- 1/4 c skim milk
- 1/2 jalapeno chilli
- 1/2 c panko breadcrumbs
- 1 egg
- dash mustard
- salt & pepper to taste
- Break off the cauliflowerflorets from the stem. chop up the stem.
- Bring a pot of water to a boil and toss the florets & stems in.
- Boil until soft (you don’t want them mushy…you want them to still hold their shape). mine took about 10 mins. You could steam too.
- Drain the cauliflower. Now preheat your oven to 350
- Shred the cheese and place it into the pot.
- Add the skim milk and mustard. Stir constantly until the cheese melts and it comes together as a cheese sauce.
- Mix in the cauliflower.
- Beat the egg and add to the mixture.
- Stir in the panko breadcrumbs and jalapeno. Salt & pepper to taste.
- Line a muffin pan with muffun cups (or just a baking dish). I made mine into individual portions using the muffin cups.
- Divide up the mixture (mine yielded 6 portions). Bake for approx 20 mins or longer if you want it crispy. Mine just thickened up and got a little more texture.
For those of you curious about the nutrition information: