I went wandering today around my neighborhood, under the guise of picking up some last minute things for my trip. I ended up picking up those things (books, travel charger for South Africa’s weird plugs, etc)…and a few other things, too: popsicle molds (i’ve been wanting to for a few weeks), moscato wine, and ginger beer. So tonight, I present: Moscato-Ginger beer-Strawberry-Basil Popsicles. Update: I froze them overnight…and they worked!
- I went to a cute home gadget store. and saw a popsicle mold I liked…and wasn’t too expensive.
- I went into the local wine shop just because. They were tasting an awesome moscato d’asti. I didn’t get that for today’s experiment–why use a $20 bottle of wine when mixing with other ingredients and playing around? Instead, I hit up the $9 bin at the schmancy liquor shop down the street and also saw some ginger beer while I was there. Inspiration born.
- We had strawberries and basil laying around
8 oz Moscato (I figured sweetness was good in a popsicle) (i may actually have to cut the amount down for next time)
- 1 bottle of ginger beer
- 4 strawberries minced small
- 3 pieces watermelon (I forgot I dropped these in too) minced
- Mix up the wine and the ginger beer–the fizziness created the feeling of moscato d’asti (sparkling moscato)
- Drop in the fruit
- Chiffonade the basil (roll it up and slice it finely)
- let the fruit sit in the wine for a while
- Pour into popsicle molds and freeze!
- Update: Freeze overnight…success!