This recipe is somewhat random…and yet it somehow works. I thought it was pretty tasty. More carrots were bought this week. Along with a butternuts squash and some golden beets….necessitating more roasting. The idea for this came from a recipe for roasted carrots with spring onions and hazlenuts. It just sounded bland…so i started thinking of ways to add more flavor…and came up with this experiment. Maybe it was all the facebook posts about sriracha last week.
- 1 butternut squash chopped into pieces (i used a precut one)
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 tbs balsamic vinegar
- 3 carrots
- 1-2 Tbs tahini
- 1-2 tbs sriracha
- 1 handful cashews or any other nut
- 1/2 an onion (i think green onion would be good in this)
- 1 oz cheddar cheese (yes this is the random part)
- Preheat oven to 450
- Line a pan with parchment. Drizzle olive oil and balsamic over the butternut squash. I also sprinkled a little chili powder over it…you don’t have to. Sprinkle with salt
- Wrap carrots in foil
- toss both in the oven until they soften. The butternut squash cooked first–quickly, maybe 20 mins. the carrots took longer, almost 35-40 (Note: wasn’t precisely timing it so go with how it feels)
- Cool carrots til you can touch them. chop up the carrots into bit sized pieces (note you could do this before roasting. I forgot).
- Saute onion in a skillet. Add the squash and carrots. Add the tahini, sriracha. Sprinkle in a little water if the sauce is too thick. Sprinkle in the cheese and mix up until cheese is melted and the flavors come together (about 7 mins).
- Toast the cashews and toss in.
I used this mixture as a filling for my veggie puffs recipe and I also ate it for dinner with some quinoa. versatile.