I can’t say I am a brussels sprouts lover. But recently, I’ve tried braising and roasting them, mixing them with other ingredients…and I really do like them.
The braised version caramelizes them (you do this by placing brussels sprouts halves in a big skillet with a little liquid and let it brown. add a more liquid a little at a time. I mix these with caramelized onions, raisins, and pine nuts.
We picked up some at a cool little market in DC called “Union Market”. The roasted version is also pretty interesting….here is what I did with them:
- 1 bunch of brussels sprouts, halved
- 1/2 onion
- a handful of cashews (toasted)
- a drizzle of olive oil
- a dash of red chilli flakes
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400
- Cut brussels sprouts in half
- Line a baking pan with parchment paper
- Line the brussels sprout halves on the pan and drizzle with oil
- sprinkle with salt, pepper, and chili flakes
- Bake until golden and crispy . Careful not to burn them-watch them.
- while the brussels are cooking, chop onion into thin strips. Put in a pan with a little smidge of olive oil. cook until golden/caramelized.
- Toast cashews and raisins in the same pan (or separate).
- Toss with the cooked brussels sprouts.
I love the idea of adding cashews to these gems.