I bought some kale and chard yesterday and was looking for something to do. I’ve also never tried faro so I bought some yesterday. Faro and kale seem all the rage lately. I couldn’t understand why…but with this dish, it worked. The lacinto kale isn’t too kaley. and the faro had a nice bite. I like.
- 1 bunch lacinto kale
- 1 package (8 oz) mixed mushrooms (“gourmet mushrooms” from Wholefoods is what I used)
- 6 cloves of garlic (yes, really, that’s what the recipe I based this on called for)
- 1 cup of faro
- 2 cups of water
- 1 oz blue cheese
- 1 handful pine nuts
- 1 handful raisins
- salt and pepper to taste
- Wash and remove the stems from the kale. Chop into 1″ pieces.
- In a large pan, add olive oil and sautee garlic for 5 mins. (you can use some onion too if you wish). Add the mushrooms and cook for 5-7 mins until golden. Season with salt and pepper. Add pine nuts and raisins and cook for a few mins. Set aside
- Add a little olive oil and the kale. Cover and steam for 5-7 mins until wilted and cooked. Set aside
- In the same pan, add the water and faro. cover and cook (follow the directions….mine took about 20-25 mins).
- Mix all of the ingredients together with the blue cheese.