These aren’t your typical huevos rancheros. This is part of my is pantry/fridge challenge–use up ingredients you have. The ingredients: a sad looking avocado. A sweet potato needing to be used up. Some taco shells that happened to be out. Lentils that had been cooked the week before. Husband said he wanted eggs, soft boiled or poached. I went with soft boiled, because I didn’t feel like dealing with the precision required for poaching.
Note: you can play the pantry/fridge challenge too. leave comment with an ingredient you want a recipe for. I’ll try to oblige. My next party trick is purple cauliflower.
- 4 eggs
- 1 sweet potato
- 1 avocado
- 1 T lime juice
- 2 green onions chopped
- 1/4 red onion chopped (prob will just need a wee little bit of this)
- greens of some kind (I used radish and sunflower greens because that’s what I had)
- 2 taco shells (use bread or tortillas if you prefer)
- 2 T lentils (this was my substitute for black beans, which I don’t eat)
- a few pistachios
- 2 oz cheddar cheese
- red chili flakes
- tempeh “bacon”
Building your huevos “rancheros”
- After washing your sweet potato, swaddle it in a paper towel. Soak the paper towel and stick it in the microwave for about 4 minutes. (take a peek after 3). You want to be able to be soft enough to cut into pieces, and to come out of the skin easily.
- Chop up the sweet potato into bite sized pieces.
- Warm up a skillet with a little olive oil. Throw in your sweet potato and cook until it is crispy. Mine were a little dark. Salt/pepper to taste. I added a little paprika and red chili flake too
- Soft boil your eggs (i used an egg timer…and they were perhaps medium boiled. I might have preferred them a little runnier). You could poach them..I just didn’t feel like it yesterday.
- While the eggs are cooking, chop up your avocado and put it into a bowl. Chop scallions and add them to the avocado. Add some lime juice to that dish.
- Heat up your taco shell, tortilla, or bread
- Heat up your lentils/beans.
- Lay the taco shell on your plate. Smear your lentils on top. Then add your sweet potatoes. Top with avocado, then greens, then some shredded cheese. Pistachios were just for crunch.
- Place your eggs on top of this mound. salt/pepper your eggs as you wish.
- you could add salsa, but this version didn’t seem to need it.
- I served with a piece of tempeh bacon