I love fresh figs in the summer. So I bought a bunch the other day. I also bought an apricot Stilton cheese that I didn’t really like. And then had to come up with something to take to a colleague’s house a few days later. Enter: Fig and cheese savories, a take on this recipe. They’re easy and really tasty. Maybe not so good for you. But they were for company!
- 4 oz Stilton cheese (I used apricot Stilton, which was oddly sweet & salty)
- 1 cup flour (next time I might try some whole wheat)
- 1 stick of butter, softened (i softened it in the microwave, 10 secs at a time)
- 3-4 T fig preserves
- 2-3 fresh figs, cut into slices
- black pepper for grinding
- Heat oven to 350 and line 2 cookie sheets with parchment
- Crumble Stilton into a bowl. add butter and then flour. Work it into a dough with your hands
- Grind black pepper into the bowl…i used 3 or so grinds
- Form the dough into a ball.
- Roll out into a 1/4″ thin round (thicker probably is fine) between 2 pieces of parchment paper
- Use a 2″ round cookie cutter to cut out “cookies” and place them on the lined baking sheet.
- Use the back of a round measuring spoon or a melon-baller to make an indentation in each round
- Spoon 1/2 teaspoon or so of fig jam onto each round.
- top with a fig piece
- bake until golden, about 10-12 minutes. Let cool and serve as an appetizer, or as a cheese course dessert 🙂