I found a recipe for a pizza crust using cauliflower a few months ago and have been experimenting with it ever since. This is also part of my “hidden veggie” series. Here’s the latest recipe:
- 1 cauliflower
- 1 sweet onion
- 1/2 box of strained tomatoes (you could just use ragu, but why?)
- 1/2 bell pepper or portabella mushroom
- a drizzle of balsamic vinegar
- a drizzle of olive oil
- salt & pepper to taste
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- basil to taste
- 3 oz mozzarella or cheddar cheese
- Break off the florets from the cauliflower stem. Place on a cookie sheet and bake at 350 until soft.
- While that’s cooking, saute onions in a little olive oil until caramelized. Add mushrooms or bell peppers if using
- Start sauce: Add strained tomato, balsamic vinegar, olive oil, some shredded basil, 1-2 teaspoons of sugar and 1-2 teaspoons of salt
- Throw the cauliflower into a food processor and process until it forms a dough. You might chose to drain the cauliflower in a strainer or cheese cloth for about a half hour.
- Add basil and 1/4 of the onion to the cauliflower. Add 1/2 the cheese to the mixture. Salt & pepper to taste. You could add chili flakes too.
- form cauliflower mixture into balls and flatten onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake at 350 until the cauliflower tarts are firm.
- Add tomato sauce, caramelized onions, and cheese. Bake again until cheese is melted.
I recommend draining as much of the water out as possible to keep it moist.